Questions and Answers for our Families and Caregivers regarding COVID-19
Last updated on June 26, 2020
1. If I am concerned about my family or loved one, who do I contact at Communitas?
Please contact the manager of your program or service or your coordinator for direction. They will know how best to help you. If you can not reach this person, please call 604-850-6608.
2. If I suspect that a loved one has COVID-19, what do I do?
Start by completing the online assessment at https://covid19.thrive.health/ then follow the resulting instructions.
Call 8-1-1 for symptom/testing advice and follow the instructions provided by the health authority provider.
Call the medical hotline at 1-888-COVID19 for advice on travel, social distancing, and the support and assistance that is available from the provincial and federal government.
3. What steps is Communitas taking to protect people?
We have developed guidelines and protocols for supporting people safely and carefully. We have adopted the guidance laid out by the provincial health officer, WorkSafe BC and our government funders for ensuring safe community, office and residential spaces. We continue to follow advised health practices, including safe distancing of 2 meters, hand and respiratory hygiene, travel advice and limitations on gatherings and room occupancy. We continue to work with families and caregivers as our services pivot to ensure that people feel comfortable and safe with the services going forward.
4. Which services are still being supported?
Residential Services: All 24/7 residential services continue to support the residents who live there. These homes are restricted with regards to visitors and access to community is carefully planned. Staff continue to provide continuity of care for your loved ones.
- Group Activities: Group activities have been modified in accordance with provincial guidance. Smaller groups, shorter durations, appropriate physical distancing and practicing good hygiene are all components of any group activities.
- One-to-One: Supports are being carefully planned and are following public health guidance. Health checks are conducted prior to contact, indoor occupancy limits are being followed and guidance for maintaining physical distances, using masks and gloves, and maintaining respiratory hygiene are in place.
Contracted Services: Managers and coordinators are in contact with contractors on a regular basis. Coordinators and contractors are encouraged to dialogue about opportunities and concerns and, at all times, adhere to provincial guidance.
Administrative Buildings: Worksafe BC guidelines are in place to ensure occupancy limits are observed, health checks are completed, visitors are tracked and monitored, and all additional COVID19 guidelines are maintained.
Please note that all visitors are required to report to reception prior to entering the building.
We encourage people to make appointments ahead of visiting the administrative offices.
We are still here for you!!
Our staff members and leadership team are committed to your safety and wellbeing through this difficult time. We are also praying that in the midst of this unprecedented crisis, we would find peace in the storm and an abundance of grace. In the name of Jesus Christ, together, we continue to create places of belonging, growth and contribution…for people of ALL abilities.